International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Wednesday 7 March 2018

Meet Our International Ambassador - Youssef Ghoneim


Name: Youssef Ghoneim
Course: MEng Engineering
Nationality: Egyptian
Level of Study: First Year

Hi, my name is Youssef Ghoneim. I’m an International Baccalaureate (IB) alumnus from Egypt. My IB subjects were higher-level Maths, Physics, Economics, Arabic B and standard level Chemistry and English Language and Literature. My subject of interest was always math, with physics being a close second. I also enjoyed chemistry and economics a lot.

I knew I wanted to go into engineering, but I wasn’t sure exactly what type of engineering I wanted to study. I first got accepted to the civil engineering course at the University of Sheffield. One day while I was looking through the University’s undergraduate courses I found the new MEng Engineering course. It offered general engineering for the first two years with an option to specify or continue as a general engineer for the 3rd and 4th years. Such an engineering course is very rare in the UK. I instantly knew that this was the course for me and emailed the University to transfer from the civil engineering course. I initially joined this course because I didn’t know what I wanted to do. However, now after truly understanding how interdisciplinary engineering is, I highly encourage everyone to start off as a general engineer, regardless of whether or not they’re sure of what they want to study.

The great thing about university is that you are studying what you love and are surrounded by people who share the same passion. This becomes very apparent in The Diamond – the University of Sheffield’s new engineering building. All around the diamond you see people working. Some are in the labs, which you can see inside due to the glass walls, and others are just hard at work in the study spaces. The Diamond is open 24/7 and is always full of hard working students. Its atmosphere encourages me to study; hopefully it’ll do the same for you.

The main things I’d like for whoever is reading this to take away is don’t pick one specific type of engineering immediately, especially if you don’t have a strong reason to specify from the start. I was initially accepted for the civil engineering course but fortunately for me, I came across the MEng Engineering course which offered expertise in all types of engineering. I am really happy that I found a course more suited to my needs.  Also, a the atmosphere in a building, is just as important as the equipment in the facility itself. You’ll be spending most of your time in the Diamond, which excels at both.

No comments:

Post a Comment