International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Saturday 3 March 2018

Meet our IEA - Qian Ni Goh


Hello, Qian Ni here. I am a first year Bioengineering student at the University of Sheffield. I am from Malaysia, a tropical country in Southeast Asia known for its beaches, rainforests and its mix of cultural influences. I have spent most of my life growing up in a warm, busy city surrounded by the sea. It is quite a contrast to living in Sheffield, which is chilly, peaceful, green and hilly. The past few months have been a life changing experience for me, exploring life on the other side of the world, whilst working towards my career goal. It is a dream come true!
The University of Sheffield is one of the top universities in the UK that offers bioengineering as an undergraduate degree. It also has as an impressive international reputation for engineering courses in general. After some research, I decided that this University would be my ideal study destination and I can honestly say that I do not regret my choice. This university offers excellent state-of-the-art facilities, particularly for engineering students who are based in the new Diamond building. We have many  opportunities beyond lectures that help us to develop ourselves as professional engineers, such as workshops and networking events. As well as having a long history of welcoming international students, this university also provides other support such as scholarships for some international engineering students, my scholarship helped me enormously.
A lot of people do not know much about bioengineering, I myself was unaware of it for a long time but when I began to research it, I was instantly fascinated.  Through bioengineering, we can overcome human limitations and achieve what may have been deemed impossible. Bioengineers have developed artificial organs, bionics, prosthetics, lifesaving medical devices - the list goes on. It is the interface between engineering and medicine and this new, technology-driven field is constantly evolving with lots of exciting opportunities that lie ahead.
Bioengineering is a multidisciplinary subject, we study modules ranging from electrical and electronic engineering, automatic control and systems engineering to biology heavy modules such as biomaterials and anatomy. During one particularly interesting laboratory session, we  had the opportunity to observe and touch actual human body parts and organs. It gave me a much greater insight into the human body and it was was very helpful for myself and other students who did not study biology at A level. During the first semester we had lectures by professionals who worked in the field, explaining the various branches of bioengineering. This was particularly useful for all of us, before we had to make our final decisions about what speciality we should choose to pursue in the second year.
One of the best things about this lovely city is the warm, enthusiastic community that makes everyone feel so welcome here. There are so many events and activities both in and out of the university that keeps everyone inspired and motivated. The University of Sheffield has been voted the number one university in the Russell Group for student experience for many good reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment