International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Saturday 3 March 2018

Meet our IEA - Jarrett Ten


-->
-->
-->
I am from Malaysia a country located in South-East Asia known for its diverse culture and love for all sorts of food. In preparation to coming to Sheffield I completed the International Baccalaureate (IB) program; a course which prepares you for university life, but in all honesty, I found the IB program a lot tougher than actual university life.

I love to eat! I believe that one of the best ways to learn about someone’s culture is through the food of their nation. To compensate for my love for food, I also enjoy various sports, such as ultimate frisbee, rollerblading, swimming, basketball, the list goes on. In addition to this I am also very interested in digital design, creating 3D models and animations in my spare time.

Engineering is such an enormous and diverse field. Personally, I aspire to be an engineer that can contribute into fields which are missing from our communities today.I have had a lot of  experience in a variety of sports which has made me very aware of the dangers and limitations of the human body. I understand the severity and grief that accidents may cause, particularly if individuals can no longer pursue the sports they love. The human body has its limits but our creativity is endless. Hence I would like to have a greater understanding of how humans can overcome our physical limitations, with the help of engineering and innovation. I believe that bioengineering is the key to achieving my goals.


If you are looking for a place that strikes the perfect balance between city and nature, Sheffield is the place for you. This is the precise reason that I selected Sheffield, as it offers all the comforts and convenience of a city but with the Peak district on the doorstep, there is the possibility for weekend hikes where you can marvel at the beauty nature has to offer.

The University of Sheffield’s engineering courses are highly ranked and respected - there is even a special building, the Diamond which is just for engineering students. Furthermore I believe the University of Sheffield offers the best student experience you can ever hope to have.The excellent Students Union and other facilities offer weekly activities which are organised by the community to engage you with new people, new experiences and as well as being a lot of fun.

A degree doesn't define who you are. You define what a degree is. Make the most of your time at university.


No comments:

Post a Comment