International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Saturday 3 March 2018

Meet our IEA - Amira


Name: Amira Deana binti Abraham
Department: Computer Science
Course: MEng Software Engineering with a Year in Industry
Nationality: Malaysian

Who am I?

Hello, I’m Amira and I’m a first year student studying Software Engineering. I was born and raised in Sabah, Malaysia. Malaysia is known for its diverse culture and love for all sorts of food. Sabah is a state of Malaysia located in the northern part of Borneo Island. A fun fact, Borneo Island is the biggest island in Asia. I enjoy meeting new people and also trying new cuisines from all around the world. I wish to travel the world one day and experience lots of different cultures around the world.



Why University of Sheffield?

First of all, I chose The University of Sheffield (UoS) because of its excellent reputation. Being a part of the Russell Group Universities, UoS offers you the best facilities to maximise the students’ university experience both academically and for its extra curricular activities. A good example of this is The Diamond building which is dedicated to serve engineering students at the UoS. My favourite study spot is actually on level 4 or inside the silent study room, which has an amazing view of St. George’s church. I enjoy gazing at it from my seat and I totally love it. The surroundings really help me to be more focused and finish my work.

The second reason for choosing Sheffield, is the low cost of living. It is one of the cheapest places to live in the UK. The living costs will definitely not hurt your wallet! Also, as a person who hates crowded hectic city life, I love the calm and relaxed lifestyle in Sheffield. If you are like me, you will totally love this city! Speaking frankly, coming to the UK to further my studies is one of the best decisions that I have ever made in my life :)

Why did I choose this course?

It all started way back, when my mom brought a laptop home, that was my first encounter with video games. Then, in 2007, a friend introduced me to The Sims, a simulation game that provides us with the freedom to build a micro world, with its own rules and physics with which we can interact. I was hooked on the game. I really wanted to understand how this game came about. After some research, I found out  that the production team for the game was made up of a large group of engineers and technological professionals. Fast forward 11 years later, here I am in Sheffield trying my best to gain a degree, so that I can work with fellow engineers and technological professionals and make great things for people in the future.  

For those of you out there that may want to do a Computer Science course, don’t be afraid if you lack a basic knowledge in programming. Here at the University of Sheffield, you are taught everything from the very basic principles. The first year is all about getting students to get to the same level. I’m not saying it is always easy but I can promise you that everyone here is willing to give you all the help and support that you may need. So, if you are a beginner who wants to do Computer Science, don’t worry, come to Sheffield! :)

Advice for prospective students…

In my opinion, for you to be able to get the best out of your university life, the key is research, research and research! You might be thinking, what do I have to research? Well here’s a short list to guide you:

1.     Course
- This is always the hard part, having to choose what to study at university. If you have a specific course you want to do in mind, that’s great. However, if you aren’t sure, don’t freak out just yet. Do some more research or talk to someone until you are more certain about your preferences.

2.              Uni
- Find out about the University and its surroundings, the city life, and whether it is suited to your needs. Think about the community? The university’s ranking? Is it a city or a campus uni? Do your research to find a university that is the most suitable for you.

3.              Module
- Different universities have various module combinations. Do your research and look at what modules are offered on the course you wish to apply to. Pick a combination that you find the most fascinating because it may prove very difficult to study an area that you are not interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment