International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Saturday 17 February 2018

Meet our IEA - Zifa Zuhair


Hello! My name is Zifa Zuhair and I’m an International Engineering Ambassador.
I am from the Maldives. I was born on a small island and raised in an even smaller one (think less sun-drenched water villas and more concrete jungle). So, as I anticipated, from growing up in such a small community, when I first told my parents and teachers after my A levels that I had decided on studying chemical engineering, I got either “But why?” or “What is that?”. Clearly, I had some explaining to do.
The first time I heard about chemical engineering from a teacher I was intrigued by the name itself. After conducting some research into this branch of engineering, I realized it was the perfect combination of all my interests. Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry and even Biology. Not only does it have immense flexibility as a career choice but the variety of industries that demand chemical engineers are also increasing steadily. Having just completed my first semester at Sheffield University, I realise that this was the right choice of course for me despite the initial doubts from people around me when I was considering this path.
I learnt from a very early age that if I wanted to make an impact in life, I had to get a proper education and work with passion and enthusiasm. So, when I picked which university I would study at I wanted an environment that would allow me to do so. The University of Sheffield focuses not just on achieving excellent academic performance but also on the personal and non-academic growth of students as well. The numerous student led societies and activities stand as proof of this. Sheffield is one of the most student friendly cities in the UK, with affordable accommodation,  discounted public transport and excellent facilities for students. All these factors together made my selection process a lot easier. With a Students Union that rivals any other in the UK and a course ranking among the top in the Russell Group, I had no hesitation accepting the offer made to me by this university.
Growing up in such a small community I did not get the exposure to the real world as many other colleagues may have had. Besides the occasional tourists, Maldives doesn’t have a diverse range of people living there. So, one can imagine how difficult it must have been to come to a country that I had never visited before and having to be surrounded by people from around the world speaking English day in and day out. Of course, after the initial weeks thanks to my new friends and the warm welcome by the university I was feeling right at home. The experience I went through made me realise I wanted to be there for other international students such as myself to adjust and embrace Sheffield as their new homes as they settle in to study here and International Engineering Ambassador scheme was the perfect way for me to do so.
Ten years ago, I would never have believed it if someone told me I would be studying to become a chemical engineer in an esteemed university in UK. I put this down to a lot of hard work and a touch of good luck. Here I am! It never ceases to amaze me that coming from such an isolated and remote group of islands I have the chance to study an amazing course and meet people from around the world every day. Safe to say, I am counting my blessings.

1 comment:

  1. Very informative and impressive post you have written, this is quite interesting and i have went through it completely, an upgraded information is shared, keep sharing such valuable information. Eilat Lev Eilat Lev Scarsdale

    ReplyDelete