International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Saturday 17 February 2018

Meet our IEA - Rida Ahmed


Hi, my name is Rida Ahmed. I am from Pakistan and I am currently a first year BEng Chemical Engineering student.  The common mindset of the people in my country is that engineering is a male-dominated profession. By becoming a successful engineer, I want to change this mindset. Also, being an IEA, I can encourage more and more Pakistani girls to enter this field of study.

My interest in Chemistry and Maths, and the incessant need to understand the dynamics of how things work, urged me to take up Chemical Engineering as my course of study. I also, wanted to play my part in converting the vast amount of raw materials present in the environment into useful and precious resources. Carl Jung once said, "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed." When I interacted with chemistry, it transformed me, I became passionate about studying and exploring the subject further. By pursuing this field, I, too, wish to bring into contact the numerous aspects of my personality, have them fuse together in a frenzy - like a chemical reaction - only to emerge as a transformed individual - one that stayed true to her childhood dream and stopped at nothing in the name of passion.

I chose the University of Sheffield, as it is one of the best universities for Chemical Engineering. The blend of teaching and research during the learning process is really fascinating. Besides being a Russell Group University, there are lots of facilities offered at the university campus. The facilities range from career counselling, to Student Advice Centre to Student Unions; all offering friendly advice and guidance to the students. The new facility 'Diamond' houses the most advanced equipment available. It is a fantastic study and learning space which is open 24/7. It even houses a cafe' offering delicious cookies and coffee.

Besides the multicultural setting and the intellectually stimulating environment in Sheffield, it was here that I got an amazing opportunity to unleash my passion for music. I joined the Pakistan Society and took part in the 'Battle of the Bands' competition. Playing as a lead guitarist, I won the 'star performer' award and our society won the competition for the first time in seven years. It was like a dream come true for me.

Sheffield, itself is a culturally and economically vibrant city, surrounded by lush greenery and friendly, beautiful, and smiling faces always awaiting to welcome newcomers!

No comments:

Post a Comment