International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Saturday 17 February 2018

Meet our IEA - Michal Stepkiewicz


Hello!  My name is Michal, I come from Poland and I live currently in Sheffield and study fascinating Mechanical Engineering at the University of Sheffield. However, it wasn’t always like that. I’ve lived my whole life in a single city – Krakow. It was there where I was born and raised, where I attended all schools and made all of my friends – some of them I met for the first time in kindergarten. When I was making plans for my future I couldn’t really imagine me leaving my beloved town, in which I also used to cycle a lot, not to mention going abroad and living in a completely different country. However, due to my ambition, passion for engineering and a series of various events I’ve ended up here in Sheffield. And I’m so glad I did!
 I’ve always enjoyed maths and physics classes in my school and after connecting those two subjects with my wide interest in technology it was pretty sure for me, that I would like to study some kind of engineering. I decided to study mechanical engineering because it contained modules connected with technology and engineering fields I was keen on – e.g. engine structure. I am also fascinated by engineering work – solving problems and using theoretical knowledge and experience to implement changes or improvements in machines and devices.

When the vision of me being a mechanical engineer in the future clarified for me, it was time to decide on a university. I was looking for a very hands-on course, that would provide me with both enough wide  theoretical knowledge and a lot of practical experience. Because of that I chose University of Sheffield – an exceptional university that offers so much  to prospective engineers. I greatly enjoy every single part of my course – from programming, technical drawing and lectures to design projects, laboratories and workshops.
Apart from the casual course I am also taking part in many events or extracurricular activities within the university. One of these is Railway Challenge engineering project, which I happen to be a lucky member. With a bunch of other students we’re designing a locomotive, which will be put into a test during a competition between universities. This project allowed me to meet many passionate people and work with them in a team and also put some effort into an ambitious project that gives m both fun and experience, that might be helpful in the future.
So eventually I am here studying in Sheffield – a medium, very green and cheap city, where there are a lot of friendly and positive people. I would have never guessed that I would be able to fall in love in a such a different city compared to my hometown, but I did. I am greatly enjoying my life here – fascinating studies and lovely people I meet.
To all prospective students I can give an advice – work hard and aim high! See you in Sheffield!

No comments:

Post a Comment