International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Monday 9 October 2017

Meet our IEA - Diana

Name: Diana
Department: Automatic control systems
Course: Robotics and Mechatronics Engineering
Nationality: Romanian

Hello
I would like to share a little something about myself and how I got into the University of Sheffield:
I am Diana and I come from Bucharest, the capital of Romania. Before University,  I had considered studying abroad but I wasn’t sure how to go about it. What course should I do? Which university? How would I cope in a foreign country? What country do I even want to go to?
Three days before the closing date for applications on the UCAS website, I decided to apply to a university in the UK. My parents were very supportive and told me to go ahead. It’s an English speaking country, in the EU ( back then ) and so easy to get to. I knew quite a bit about British culture and history and of course that it is famous for its universities.
I started writing my application using tips from any website I could find and asked my friends and teachers to proof-read it for me. I was eager to look at the University rankings, global rankings, UCAS rankings, specific course rankings, and learn how UCAS works. The process of applying to Universities with little guidance from anyone was a hectic time for me!
I sent in my application and waited for the results. Sheffield was my firm choice, but why?
Because I love the Arctic Monkeys. Oh, and the course was pretty good too.
I knew I wanted to do Robotics when I stumbled across a YouTube video about people who play one of my favourite video games - League of Legends. One of the people they followed was a Korean man that created robot replicas of characters from the game. That was when I realised: ‘I want to do this too! This is what I want.’
This newly sparked interest, combined with a love for Maths and Physics in school and a bit of a twist of fate is how and why I chose my course and this University.  I have never regretted my decision, it was the best choice I could have made.

No comments:

Post a Comment