International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Wednesday 8 March 2017

Meet our International Engineering Ambassador - Muhammad Mohsin Saleem

Muhammad Mohsin Saleem
MEng Materials Science and Engineering


I came to Sheffield and I believe this was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I have lived in Pakistan for eighteen years ever before my Sheffield journey began. I completed my schooling at Beaconhouse School System, an institution which I stepped into in September 2000 and graduated completing my A Levels in 2016. I had always dreamed and worked enthusiastically towards being able to secure admission into a world top hundred university. The University of Sheffield helped this dream come true.

As everyone else I also went through the daunting process of university applications and later, choosing the right university. The University of Sheffield was ultimately my final choice as the Faculty of Engineering at Sheffield was one of the top ranked faculties in the UK. The staff at the university were experts in their fields and their work had been driving positive change, empowering people and making communities stronger.

What was more exciting was the powerful blend of teaching and research in the learning process. Applied research is an integral part of the curriculum and right from my first year at university, I’d get the opportunity to work alongside brilliant researchers on live projects as part of my course. The facilities being offered at the university campus such as career counselling, the 24-hour library- Information Commons, the Diamond with the new laboratories and study spaces, the presence of personal tutors for individual help, the SSID, the Student Advice Centre and the Student Job Shop in the SU were quite impressive. Sheffield’s Students’ Union came top for the fifth year running in the latest National Student Survey results, which has much to do with making your Sheffield experience surpass your expectations. Sheffield also achieved the third highest score in the Russell Group, the association of leading UK research-intensive universities, with an overall satisfaction score of 89 per cent. Most importantly the department of Materials Science and Engineering, being one of the founding departments of the university was a great attraction since it holds a great reputation for the world leading academics that teach us and the grounding research that is being carried out within the department. Despite all this, I was fortunate enough to be awarded the extremely competitive Pakistan Undergraduate Merit Scholarship which got me a decent amount off my tuition fees, becoming a driving factor for me in choosing Sheffield as firm choice.

A city like no other, Sheffield is friendly, beautiful, modern, safe and most of all, one of the cheapest to live in the UK. You might not believe but there are more trees than people in the city making it one of the greenest cities in the UK. This city will undoubtedly provide you with the best chance to explore, discover, make new friends, have fun and be creative. The courses here are designed to inspire and challenge. They are based on the latest developments in research and industry, and prepare you for the professional world.

Yet a few months ago I didn’t expect my life to change that much and in such positive way. What I’d recommend to anyone is just take all your positive energy, enthusiasm and passion, choose the course you are interested in and be the engineer of your life. The University of Sheffield is a place that will certainly support you, and will give you amazing opportunities. You will also meet a number of amazing friends from all over the world and Sheffield will be your new home away from home.


No comments:

Post a Comment